Curing ADHD with Reiki
‘Seven is the average age for ADHD to get detected; one out of five children diagnosed with ADHD are not receiving proper treatment’
‘One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.’
― Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher, poet, and critic
Understanding Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
ADHD is the medical term for an inability, one that develops at an early age, to sustain attention or focus. Contrary to what some may feel, ADHD is not a consequence of something that parents did wrong, it is a biological condition that needs to be dealt with. More specifically, ADHD is a condition of the brain that makes it difficult for children to sit still and pay attention. Our brain has specific spaces, the frontal lobe for instance, that controls a child’s understanding and ability to focus on tasks and ignore distractions. However, understanding this only medically is one side of the story, there are many more. One can only imagine the sense of isolation and difficulty that a child with ADHD undergoes. The following are a few accompanying conditions:
- Learning disabilities, such as forgetfulness, impatience, and excessive talking
- Conduct-related disorders and difficulties, especially those related to aggression and defiance; this is often characterized by hyperactivity and restlessness
- Anxiety issues and mood disorders
- Sleep disorder
Having ADHD also means that the disorder isn’t fully curable. Children diagnosed with this learn how to cope with it and, eventually, how to be more focused, but are never completely free of it. Having said this, a child with ADHD does not mean he/she can never live happily or be successful. There are several ways in which this can be controlled and reiki is one of them.
Reiki and ADHD: Understanding the Methodology
The key to controlling ADHD is twofold: the first is to find the ability to remain calm and still the mind and the second is to learn and focus on the immediate tasks at hand. Equally important is the ability to control the secondary afflictions from obstructing day-to-day life.
Reiki is an ancient Japanese therapy that channels the positive life force from the surroundings into the body. This is also one of the ways in which the body is given a chance to heal on its own. Essentially, reiki when used along with the symbols (a way of tapping optimum energy given the need of the patient) is best suited for people who need to harness the energy of the mind. A common perception is that children are difficult to work with in such therapies, especially those with an attention deficiency; however, the nature of the technique is such that anyone who receives this positive life force feels an immediate sense of relief, lightness, and warmth. Additionally, I also feel reiki is best suited to help in a condition such as this as in order to receive reiki one must not only be physically still, comfortable but still but also calm the mind, empty it, and then focus.
Traditionally, reiki was used to relieve stress and anxiety but of late, its healing capacity has been stretched to include it as a regular secondary line of treatment, next to conventional medicine.
The Technique of Reiki
Widely referred to as a ‘light-touch therapy’, reiki is premised on the idea that our bodies carry an unseen life force and it is this that causes the body to be alive, healthy, and happy. If this energy is found to be weakening then the body manifests problems, these can range from anywhere between a light headache to something as severe as an organ malfunctioning. Conversely, if this energy is high then the body will reflect signs of good health resulting in high energy levels, appetite, and sleep pattern. The best part about reiki is that it covers the entire body and its numerous functions. Instead of focusing merely on the affected area, in this case the mind, reiki takes into account the full spectrum of the mind, body, and spirit.
The Benefits of Using Reiki
Many say that a reiki treatment feels like a warm gush of energy entering the body which in turn causes relaxation and a sense of harmony and well-being. While a long-term application of reiki ensures the health and vitality of the mind and body, with regard to ADHD, reiki can help by extending clarity, calmness, and a relaxed state of mind to perceive and respond accordingly. Here is how:
- Reiki does not interfere with any other treatment which in this case is necessary: Using reiki in curing ADHD should be used as a secondary line of treatment.
- Reiki helps in curbing moor disorders: While this is not always a symptom of ADHD, it comes up in a lot of cases. Many say that taking regular reiki sessions helps in stying calm and like any other practice, this, too, develops with time.
- Reiki helps in better relaxation positively affecting the sleep pattern: Because staying calm, relaxed, and focused is an issue with children with ADHD, reiki helps to calm the nerves and quite the mind. Over time with regular sessions, children begin learning how to stay clam even outside the sessions.
- Reiki helps with developing better concentration: Beginning early is an effective way of ensuring that the child learns how to stay focused for longer durations. With reiki and its positive energy, children can develop their own techniques to respond to tasks better.
ADHD or any learning disorder may sound like an impossible challenge, the proverbial insurmountable task, but for those who are determined, reiki is surely an effective way of overcoming an issue and leading a wholesome life.